Wednesday, January 21, 2009

American Idol: Week 2 (Part 1)

Hey guys, our friend Andrea will be doing some more recapping for us about American Idol. Here is her take on week 2. Thanks Andrea!

xoxo,
Lauren


San FranWACKOS…


Ok so this week I decided to write two short recaps for you guys and I am doing this partly because I feel last weeks recap was too long and also because I was pretty fired up after tonight’s episode. And I want to remind you that this is all my opinion and you don’t have to agree with any of it whatsoever.

So was it me or was tonight’s idol a little weird? First off, I am a huge fan of the show and I didn’t realize it was only on for an hour tonight. That was a total bummer for me : (
Also it seemed like the judges were somewhat frustrated tonight, especially Kara and Simon. Although I am not complaining, it makes for a more interesting show that way. I will say that if I had to sit in a room next to Paula and Simon for hours I would probably want to shoot myself. (I feel your pain Kara, and Randy was pretty much useless in my eyes tonight). Anyway, moving on to what fired me up.

Two things really made me angry tonight and the first one you guys will probably laugh at, so here goes. What in God's name was Kara wearing tonight?!?!? I mean was she serious with that outfit? It looked like a cat clawed her sleeves off. At first I thought it was a shirt but then when she stood up I noticed it was a dress and I was even more confused. I would like to meet her stylist and fire him/her myself. If you know you are going to be on television, in front of millions, please dress a little better. At least just for my sake! Also her makeup is a little over the top. She is a pretty girl, she doesn’t need all that dark, smoky, eye shadow. Ok now that that is off my chest. Let's move on to more important things, like the idol hopefuls.

Now this is the second issue that really bothered me about tonight and actually has been bothering me for some time with Idol. If I am not mistaken this show was created to help find the most talented UNDISCOVERED vocalist in America. That being said, I don’t understand why they continue to bring people onto the show that have already been discovered. Granted, not all of them have had their full shot at fame and this show can be used as a stepping stone for their careers, but in my opinion if you were in a hit musical or released any type of music under a record label then you should not be on idol. I don’t know about you guys but I love to hear of a musician who has been singing in bars for years or who has been waiting for an opportunity like Idol to come along. Those are the people who are naturally talented. I love hearing success stories like that from idol. A great example is Kellie Pickler. Although not the greatest vocalist, her story was one that made us all cheer her on to great success. The reason I bring all of this up is because I was very disappointed to find out that Adam Lambert, one of the auditioners and now Hollywood contenders, was in the hit musical Wicked for a year and a half. Now I like the guy and think he has a pretty good voice, but of course you have to have a good voice to perform for a year and a half in Wicked. Which leads me to the question of: is it fair to have this guy on idol next to people who have never sang in front of a huge audience before? I don’t know; I debate about this issue myself but as much as I complain about it, I will forever and always love my American Idol. I am a strong believer that if you have what it takes to make it big, then when you are given that chance you will make the most of it. Some excellent examples are Kelly Clarkson, Kellie Pickler, Fantasia, Bucky Covington, Chris Daughtry all of whom took idol and used it as a stepping-stone for their careers now. Like I said I still go back and forth about Idol allowing experienced people on the show next to the inexperienced people but one thing is for sure, it always makes for one hell of a show. Thanks for reading and below you will find my Idol Contestants that stuck out for me tonight. Sorry there aren’t too many because, well honestly, I didn’t really like anyone tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be full of more talent.

San Francisco - Tuesday January 20th
Girl with annoying laugh—I had a feeling she would be good, she will be interesting to watch in Hollywood

Jesus—I actually liked him and I’m glad they didn’t pass him up. I think he will shock us in Hollywood

Adam Lambert—Like him a lot but am still going back and forth on weather or not it is fair he is on the show. I mean come on, he was in Wicked for a year and a half.

Kai—I like his voice a lot, he has smooth vocals but needs to come out of his shell a little

1 comment:

Junior said...

Can I just tell you guys that I'm lovin' Andrea's recaps. It's like I don't even have to watch the show! Which is good for me because I stopped watching when all the unsigned "discovered" singers started showing up and taking time away from people who's never had a deal or performed in front of people ever.

I know "Idol" wants to ensure that its contestants become stars (that drives the cache of the show up) but I agree, there is talent out there that isn't related to someone, was in a band people know one time, or was on Broadway for awhile. Find us those peeps!