Monday, January 19, 2009

American Idol: Week 1

Hi, everyone! Our American Idol expert/amazing guest blogger Andrea has a full recap of this week's AI two-day premiere. So if you missed or, or just want to catch up on all the AI action, this is the place. Enjoy! And thank you, Andrea!

xoxo,
Lex

As many of you readers know, I am a huge fan of American Idol and I can guarantee you there is noone else on this earth that was more excited for the Season 8 premier of AI than I was. I literally wait all year and check their website obsessively to see when the auditions will start and when the season premiere will air, and that makes me sound crazy, I know. Regardless, my wait is over and over the last two nights I was able to witness the beautiful return of my favorite reality show.


As promised, I am here to give you all the juice and info you will need on EVERYTHING American Idol. In this article I will recap the two-night premier and discuss how I feel about the new season thus far. So, without further ado….I present to you my first recap of American Idol Season 8!

To prove how much of a dork I am, and to show how much American Idol has an impact on my everyday life, I first want to talk about some of the information I researched about the show prior to it starting. (Yes, people tell me I need a life all the time.) Anyway, I spent some time researching the internet for spoilers on Season 8 and found some interesting changes that we are expected to see during this season. Throughout this recap, I will touch on each change that was to be expected and give my opinion on each. The first of which is the addition of a new and fourth judge.

As I sit here watching the first week of Idol I am noticing the effect that the addition of a fourth judge Kara DioGuardi has had on the show already. It is a nice change to see another judge, and another female judge at that! I think that Kara actually makes Paula seem normal, if that’s even possible. And I don’t mean that Kara sounds crazier than Paula - I mean its nice that someone has similar opinions as Paula does and can articulate them better than Paula. Maybe Paula can take some notes from Kara and actually start making sense when she speaks! If anything, the addition of a fourth judge gives us another opinion and Kara’s opinions seem pretty level- headed.




Another “change” that was to occur this season was the elimination of terrible singers and more of the better singers being rejected. That did not prove to be the case during the two-night premier. It seemed like almost all of the tickets they handed out for Hollywood were not deserving of those tickets. Actually, I was shocked at who they gave a golden ticket to…like the girl in the bikini, she was vocally challenged in my opinion. (I could be biased because I happen to think I have a better voice than most those contestants) Although I will say she was very smart with wearing that outfit, clearly it’s the only thing that got her to Hollywood. Hopefully, she will leave the swimwear at home during the Hollywood round. Overall though, I am going to say that this change of fewer terrible singers and more of the better vocalists was not showcased in the premier. There are clearly still freaks showing up for these auditions. Maybe throughout the rest of the auditions they will showcase more singers and less wannabes. We will have to stay tuned to find out!


One characteristic of the show that changed that I happen to like a lot is the fact that Ryan is shown talking to the contestants more before and after their auditions. This is a change that I am glad they are making and one that I am really hoping lasts throughout the rest of the season. I remember during season one when Ryan and Brian (the other host they got ride of) both talking to Kelly Clarkson right before she went into her audition and they asked her about her outfit. Kelly said she made her shirt out of an old pair of jeans, from that moment on I thought wow this chick is cool! Having Ryan talk to the contestants more allows us to get to know the contestants before the spotlight jades them. It’s also nice that they are talking to the families more too. It’s nice to know who we are voting for before they become the next American Idol.


Overall, I think the Season 8 premier wasn’t bad. The fourth judge is a nice addition to the show and contrary to what they said about eliminating terrible contestants, it was clear that that the freaks were still coming out and they believe, for some reason, that they can sing. What people don’t realize is that there are two auditions rounds prior to the Simon, Paul, Randy and Kara round that those freaks actually pass through before making it to TV. I sometimes wonder what the producers are thinking when they let some of those people pass through to the final round. One thing the producers did get right was the idea of showing Ryan talking more to the contestants so that we can get to know them before we vote for them. As I watched the season 8 premiere, I am reminded of the Season 1 auditions, were they talked to the contestants more, that’s a nice reminder in my opinion. One thing I am disappointed in is the fact that I feel some of the contestants we will be seeing in Hollywood did not deserve that golden ticket. That alone should make for an interesting Hollywood round and I am looking forward to what the next round has to offer. I hope they continue showcasing the contestants more during the Hollywood round so I can feel like I know the contestant before I spent time sending them my votes.


Well as I conclude my first AI 8 recap, I hope you enjoyed my article and please remember everything here is just my opinion. Please feel free to leave lots and lots of comments and also read my lists below of the contestants that stuck out the most for me so far! Until next time, remember to sing your heart out like no one is listening…..and sing loud because you cant sound as bad as half these people that auditions.


Contestants that stuck out for me:

Tuesday Night

Arianna Afsar--She sang "Put your records on" and I was pleasantly surprised when I heard her voice. I think she is good, cute and has the potential to go far on this show!

Stevie Wright –she sang "At Last" and I was not all that impressed with her vocals, I don’t think she will handle Hollywood very well.

Bathing suit girl—OK, this chick was way over played, I don’t think she was that great vocally but was smart by wearing that bathing suit because well, it got her through.


Wednesday Night

Ashley (Sang a song that Simon wrote for Leona Lewis) —looked a little fake bake for me but LOVED her voice. She reminds me of a much better sounding Katherine McPhee! She will do well in this competition

Von Smith—this is the guy that over sang somewhere over the rainbow but wow was he good. I hope he does well in this competition and does end up being cocky

Michael Castro—well lets just say I don’t want to deal with another Castro on this show. His brother was terrible last year and I’m pretty sure he used his brother to get on the show this year…I hope he is gone early in Hollywood.

Jessica Paige—was a normal, very naturally talented girl. I hope she goes far!

India—this is another one that I feel did not deserve her ticket to Hollywood

Anoop—looking at him, you would think he couldn’t sing but wow was he good. And it wasn’t like all those other guys that sing Boyz II Men on this show, it was actually really, really good!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

paula and kara were kind of making out in the fox party pictures!! they are both kind of crazy (in a good way!)

Andrea said...

haha I agree and I think they will make the show more interesting this season!

Hannah said...

I just saw tuesday night, so I can't comment on wednesday, but I really liked Stevie. And that nerdy kid, but I can't remember his name.