Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Prop H8torade

Well I just realized I completely forgot to blog about the election pretty much... so to summarize, I am happy with the results and I voted for Mr. O. and he won and that's awesome.

But Prop 8... oh my dear Prop 8.
I was having a conversation with one of my friends this weekend about gay marriage. We have had this exact same conversation while eating cheese steaks in Philly (yay BFF), and we had it again a few days ago. To paraphrase:
ME: Can you tell me why you don't believe gay people should be able to get married?
*TIM: It's not the same as a man and woman getting married.
ME: WHY do you think it's different?
TIM: Because it's a man and a man, not a man and a woman.
ME: But you don't think that one couple in love should have the same rights and privileges as another couple in love?
TIM: No, it's different.
ME: Why?
TIM: You must not understand.
*Name changed to protect the ignorant.

That went on for an long time in a catch 22-esque manner. I'll personally let you all know right now that I'm an atheist, so I take all religious arguments as bullshit. If you take the religious angle out of it, I really don't understand why Britney and Kevin could get married but Ellen and Portia can't. It's absolutely ridiculous to me and I think in a few years we will look back on this as a "what were we collectively thinking?" thing. I just wish someone would give me a logical reason why gay couples shouldn't have the same rights to marry as straight couples, and so far no one has been able to give me one.
Anyway, Rich at FourFour (link in our Blogroll, he is awesome - check him out!) posted this video that is pretty much AMAZING, concise, reasonable, logical, and at the same time not completely void of emotion. If you have 6 and a 1/2 minutes, I strongly urge you to watch it, and if you think you don't have the time, you're a liar pants... just watch it.


xoxo,
Lauren

2 comments:

Emily said...

sooo excited that i got a shout out on sooperserial :-)

i totally agree with you on this issue- that's why *tim and i will never be

Lex said...

IS THIS TIM GUNN? When did you meet him? Just kidding, I know who it is, but I'm not telling, HA HA.